COVID-19, popularly known as the corona virus, has created unprecedented turmoil and doldrums everywhere on this planet. While mankind is still struggling to limp back to normalcy after the first wave of the COVID-19 impact, the second wave of this enormous pandemic is already at our doorsteps! Unfortunately, the elderly citizens of our society are most vulnerable to this dangerous virus. Hence, senior healthcare is facing several challenging demands as family members strive to safeguard the older generation.
Owing to personal commitments and geographical considerations, many adults are desperately looking at reliable options to take care of their elderly parents and relatives. Athulya Assisted Living, a premier assisted living facility in Chennai, is gaining tremendous popularity in this context for its exclusive personalized care facilities for the retired communities. Apart from the comprehensive amenities in its affordable senior-friendly homely living spaces, it also provides the services of skilled nursing care and rehabilitation care for seniors.
Let us now see the laudable preventive measures that are scrupulously being undertaken by its well-trained geriatric caregivers to effectively battle the second wave of COVID-19.
- Vaccination for seniors has been given the utmost priority at Athulya Assisted Living. All the residents and in-house staff have been vaccinated for COVID -19.
- All residents and staff members undergo vital checks on a daily basis for any corona signs. Besides that, the vital health parameters of the seniors are also closely being monitored to check for any abnormalities.
- The practices of wearing masks, maintaining social distance and ensuring hand hygiene for seniors through periodic hand washing have been fully incorporated. It is compulsory for both the elders and staff to follow these steps during any kind of interaction.
- Strict protocols are being maintained to ensure hygiene through regular cleaning and frequent sanitization. All the touch-points like lift buttons, switches, railings and grab bars in common areas are sanitised at regular intervals to avoid the infectious outbreak.
- The diet plan for seniors has been suitably modified to include items for boosting the body immunity system. Health supplements like Nilavembu Kudineer Kashayam (a popular herbal drink of Tamil Nadu) and Vitamin D have been given regularly. Additionally, natural ingredients like pepper and turmeric are added to milk and given at night on regular basis.
- All forms of group activities like fitness programs and outdoor activities are temporarily suspended. However, services like food delivery, therapy and one-to-one sessions on hobbies like arts and crafts are available at the individual abodes of seniors by diligently maintaining the protocols.
- Outside visitors including family members of seniors are strictly not allowed so that the risk of infection is reduced. As a promising alternative, residents are encouraged to make phone conversations and videoconferencing calls on a daily basis. Thus, they are in constant touch with their loved ones for evading isolation and loneliness.
- Any person coming from outside to the premises for essential services undergo a check at the entrance before stepping inside. Body temperature checks using thermal scanners and usage of sanitizers is mandatory. Those having even the slightest symptoms are forbidden entry.
- For the admission of new residents, undergoing preliminary COVID-19 tests and submission of negative RT-PCR report is mandatory. There is also holistic adherence to doing a complete health checkup and analyzing the existing co-morbidities of the newcomers before the accommodation is allocated.
Athulya Assisted Living is indeed leaving no stone unturned to ensure the well-being and safety of its senior inhabitants.
Before concluding, please take the following safety precautions to minimize the outbreak of the second wave-
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or use an effective sanitizer.
- Do not touch your eyes, nose and mouth when hands are unwashed.
- Stay indoors as much as possible.
- Always wear a mask when you step outside and maintain social distance (at least one metre).
- Avoid close contact with people outside.
- Take the COVID-19 vaccine.
- Disinfect frequently touched objects and spaces in and around the house.
- Boost your immunity system with health supplements and a healthy diet.