Most seniors prefer to stay at the comfort of their homes and lead an independent life after retirement. Family members, especially children living with the parents or caretakers, often endeavour to take the best possible care so that the elders have a comfortable existence.
However, there are situations both planned and unexpected that call for taking the support of senior care services atleast for a short span of time. This could be because the caretaker needs a break from the demands and stress of care-giving or has a travelling requirement. In other cases, the seniors may need additional support and temporary assistance after hospitalization or for rehabilitation post-surgery or injury (Respite Care). Short stays also give ‘heads-up’ information to older people to explore the suitability of a new lifestyle before they choose to make the final move to a particular care facility.
Yet, seniors are usually apprehensive about exploring this possibility and develop cold feet for making any changes to their routine. Assisted Living short term stay and many Senior Independent Living Homes offer a viable solution to this problem. They offer interesting programs in a safe, secure and relaxing environment for small durations. Here, high quality of senior care and services are rendered to those who opt for it though it could be a provisional stay arrangement. They can rest assured that they will receive the same standard and level of services as other residents who stay there for longer periods.
In fact, several Assisted Living Facilities even encourage elders to ‘test drive’ the kind of prevailing life at these centres by providing a trial stay opportunity. This gives them a chance to mingle with the residents and staff. They can even participate in various activities and events at the facility to comprehend whether it matches their personal preferences and choices. Thus, the seniors are empowered sufficiently for making apt choices about their care.
Respite Care for Elderly
Short term stay at assisted living offers respite care in the following situations for seniors who need-
- Extra help and medical support for doing their daily activities before returning home after hospitalization
- Continuous rehabilitation and therapy services for a few weeks or months for recovery as in case of hip or knee replacement surgery
- Respite care for short stay while their permanent residence is renovated restructured.
During this interval, a detailed evaluation is done to create a personalized care plan for every senior who needs this assistance. The comprehensive care services offered could involve nursing observation, help for doing daily living activities, medical management, scheduled transportation for doctor visits and so on.
The services offered in Respite Care include (but is not limited to)-
- Providing personal assistance to routine activities like bathing, grooming, feeding, toileting and dressing
- Helping elders in preparing meals, shopping, cleaning and washing
- Giving healthcare assistance through physical therapy and medication management
- Ensuring one-on-one attention is given to the elderly person based on their needs likely playing a game, holding an interesting conversation, sharing thoughts/ideas or taking them for a walk
- Maintaining the mental health and happiness of seniors by involving them in constructive activities and programs
- Rehabilitating patients suffering from stroke or mental ailments like Dementia and Alzheimer’s through a controlled environment and attention from trained caregivers
Assisted Living centres also offer flexible dining options with healthy menus created after due consultation with dieticians to match the health requirements and personal taste buds of individual residents. Besides, there are a plethora of exciting activities to bring the residents together and create a lively, stimulating environment.
Thus short stays for Assisted Living provide seniors with a customized window of opportunity to experience a ‘home’ away from their home while safeguarding their health and well-being.