Healthcare Technology is having a tremendous impact on people of all ages. Elders are an integral part of this promising revolution. Technology for Senior Care has become a boon that empowers the older generation to lead an independent, active and safe lifestyle. It is not only transforming the lives of elders who stay in their own homes but is also having a profound effect on all forms of senior care and Assisted Living Facilities.
Ranging from fitness bands to floor sensors and individually customized room lighting systems, various senior living aids are dramatically improving the way care is delivered by the facility providers to the elderly residents. Many of these aids deploy data-collection technology that not only ensures a comfortable stay for seniors but also drastically enhances the business outcomes of professional caregivers by improving the quality of services rendered.
The data derived from Senior Assisted Devices can be integrated and analyzed to understand the living patterns of the residents. Thus, apart from helping in monitoring their activities, this information may be utilized to tailor the care services around their predicted behaviours. Thus such devices are not merely add-ons but serve the purpose of delivering human-centred and personalized offerings that form the crux of value-based healthcare today.
Some Useful Technology Aids for Senior Assisted Living
- Fall Management Solutions – One of the leading causes of death amongst the elderly population is injury due to trips and falls. To prevent this catastrophe, fall management solutions can be used. These solutions provide technological ways to integrate the alarm or call system of residents to alert the care-giving staff when a fall occurs. Thus, it helps in improving the response time to such accidents and reduces the risk of injury. Additionally, these devices are designed to eliminate audible signals if the senior resident can recover independently after the fall thereby reducing the panic caused by distressing and false alarms.
- Reminder Systems – These devices are usually voice-activated and easy to use particularly by seniors who have visual impairments. A reminder is provided for taking medications on time, attending social activities, taking timely meals or attending a physical activity session. These audio messages may be recorded in the voice of family members to give a touch of personalization, warmth and friendliness to overcome home-sickness. Thus it gives a sense of independence and personal freedom to residents and particularly eases the transition of newcomers in assisted living or other senior care units.
- Clinical Record Organizers – The task of caregiving is prone to errors as multiple staff members may attend to the needs of the same set of residents. It is therefore important that they maintain good communication and co-ordination in dispensing their duties. Clinical Record Organisers help in achieving this by creating a digitized platform for caregivers to communicate openly and monitor the vital parameters of residents in real-time. This digitization also saves time and increases staff efficiency. Many organizers are also programmed to give regular updates about the status and well-being of seniors to their family members.
- Enterprise Solutions for Caregivers – There are several technology applications for individual caregivers that facilitate and streamline their communication with other medical professionals including physicians, therapists and nurses. This allows them to participate in ‘virtual’ meetings to discuss, plan, schedule and track the care of senior residents. Currently, efforts are also on to upgrade such solutions to meet the needs of larger senior living communities .
- Touch Screen Devices for Social Connections – A great option for sparkling social connectivity and maintaining cognitive capabilities is through senior-friendly smart devices like touch screen gaming tablets. These devices can be used to play a plethora of on-demand games like word puzzles, card games and race car challenges thereby boosting social connections. Residents can even compete in real-time with their counterparts across other states or countries thereby building a competitive spirit.
Thus Technology empowers Assisted Living by promoting customized Senior Care through better relationships, personalization and entertainment.