Cardiovascular disease (CVD) is the general term indicating diseases related with heart or blood vessels. It is also associated with damage of arteries in organs like brain, Kidney, heart and eyes. The older adults are susceptible to cardiovascular disease. Age plays a major role resulting in an increased risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD) in older adults. The prevalence of most types of cardiovascular diseases is higher among seniors compared to general population. Proper medication and assistance are required for older adults affected with cardiovascular diseases. The most common cardiovascular diseases are coronary heart disease, stroke, peripheral arterial disease and aortic disease.
CORONARY HEART DISEASE:
When the flow of oxygen rich blood to heart muscle is blocked or reduced that leads to coronary heart disease.
When the blood supply to the brain is cut off, a stroke occurs which cause brain damage.
PERIPHERAL ARTERIAL DISEASE:
When there is a blockage in the arteries to limbs that leads to peripheral arterial disease, this causes cramping leg pain and numbness or weakness in legs.
Aortic disease occurs when the largest blood vessel in the body, aorta gets affected.
Risk factors of cardiovascular diseases:
- The exact cause of cardiovascular disease is not clear but age is the prominent risk factor of getting affected by cardiovascular disease (CVD). The risk of getting cardiovascular disease is more in older adults than compared to others.
- Cardiovascular disease is most common in people above 50 years.
- Unhealthy diet, the diet which does not include proper food needed by the body increases the blood pressure and cholesterol which lead to high blood and high cholesterol.
- High blood pressure and high cholesterol are one of the major risk factors for older adults to affect with cardiovascular disease.
- Diabetes is considered to be the most important cause for getting affected by cardiovascular disease in older adults.
- Inactivity is another risk factor for older adults, inactivity may increase the cholesterol level, which leads to obese and overweight.
- Alcohol consumption and smoking.
- Frailty in older adult is considered to be one of the risk factors of cardiovascular disease.
- Elderly women at menopause are at greater risk of getting affected by high blood pressure, high cholesterol level, hypertension, diabetes which leads to cardiovascular diseases.
PREVENTION OF CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE IN OLDER ADULTS:
- Older adults with smoking and alcohol consumption should avoid it completely.
- Choosing the right choice of carbohydrates are essential in preventing cardiovascular disease in older adults.
- A balanced diet is very much necessary to prevent older adults from getting cardiovascular diseases.
- Regular exercise can help in prevent older adults from cardiovascular diseases.
- Older adults are advised to do moderate exercises like brisk walking every day.
- A regular medical checkup is necessary for older adults, so that if affected by cardiovascular disease can be diagnosed earlier.
- Maintaining a healthy weight is very important.
Balanced diet for older adults with cardiovascular disease:
- A healthy diet for adults should include the following:
- A proper food habit is very important.
- Should eat plenty of vegetables and fruits, plant-based diet would lower the risk factor of getting cardiovascular diseases.
- Low sodium foods like dried fruits, beans, brown rice can be included in the diet.
- Food with low level salt should be excluded from the diet.
- The diet should include more protein rich foods.
- Foods rich in fiber and whole grains is a must in the diet.
- As older adults will have weaker bones and muscles, they may become tired often in order to make them brisk a complete protein diet is necessary in the regular balanced diet.
- Older adults can also intake a complete healthy vegetarian diet to prevent themselves from cardiovascular diseases.
- Eating foods with low sugar level would help older adults to keep their diabetes in control.
- Eating anti-inflammatory foods like celery, turmeric, beets can be included in diet.
Older adults with cardiovascular disease should be taken care and medicated properly. Cardiovascular disease is the major health concern in seniors. Aging is considered as one of the independent risk factors of getting cardiovascular disease. More care and assistance are needed for older adults with cardiovascular illness. To provide our seniors with the best care, the all-time choice is Athulya Assisted Living, it provides a senior living community where the seniors are given more attention and assistance. Athulya also provides skilled nursing care to those seniors who need mental care with medical assistance. Let’s make senior living comfortable and relaxed with Athulya assisted living.