Things are about to get heated up. This is about time to search for a place to hide and make every effort to beat the heat. If you are a senior, you need to be extra cautious in this season of the year.
Having said that, summer is not that bad either. The early morning and later evenings can be the perfect time to venture out, stroll in the fresh air, and enjoy the calmness of the summer.
Sweltering heat of the summer can become worrisome for seniors only when they are exposed to it.
So, how seniors can pass through the summer without facing any kind of medical complications while enjoying the warm summer days.
Best Summer Tips for Seniors
Combining simple lifestyle changes with the best summer diet tips for seniors would sound the perfect preparation idea for the seniors.
The body is equipped to combat the heat of the summer but it needs additional support in order to do that.
1. Stay Hydrated – Summer makes the body sweat more than any other season. It is a natural reaction of the body towards the heat to keep itself cool. Simple tips to keep yourself hydrated.
- Drink plenty of water – Drink water at regular intervals whether you are thirsty or not. Keep the urine color as a measure to regulate your water intake.
- Coconut water – The natural energy booster is a great source for minerals, electrolytes, and other essential nutrients.
- Naturally extracted juices – All natural juice helps the body refill the lost fluids. Avoid artificial juices that have added sugars and flavours.
- A BIG no to caffeine and alcohol – Caffeine, carbonated water, and alcohol cause dehydration which is the least thing you want to happen on a hot summer day.
2. Eat Good Food – The good food is everything that keeps you cool. Here are a few summer diet suggestions exclusively for seniors.
- Seasonal fruits – Nature knows what exactly we need during the summer season. If you don’t agree, take a look at the fruits available in summer. Watermelon, cantaloupe, mangoes, and papaya are the rich sources of the best nutrients for summer.
- Seasonal vegetables – Summer season’s best vegetables such as vegetables such as cucumber, iceberg lettuce, celery and tomatoes contain over 90% of water which make them the best vegetables for summer.
- Oily and spicy foods – Stay away from oily and spicy foods. Typically these types of foods take much longer to get digested, causing the body to lose the extra energy and resources such as fluids.
- Reduced meat intake – As long as you are taking the lean protein such as chicken breast or fish, you are alright. Stay away from red-meats and other preserved types of meats.
3. Wear Something ‘Cooler’ – What you wear matters the most to your body. Whether you are going out in the sun or staying at home, here are a few suggestions that help you keep cooler.
- Go for colors easy on the eyes – Darker colors have the tendency to absorb more light, making the body feel extra heat. Always wear light colored clothes.
- Not too tight or thick – Do not wear clothes that are too tight or thick. Your clothes should allow the skin to breathe better.
- Clothes that promote hygiene – Sweat can invite microorganisms that cause skin infections. Wear something that absorbs sweat effectively.
- Hats and sunglasses – A polarized sunglasses and hat should always accompany you if you are stepping out under the sun. They are equipped not only to protect your skin and eyes from the UV rays but also provide you a comfort and cozy feel outdoors.
4. Summer Health Routine – As the days get longer, it would be the perfect opportunity for seniors to involve in daily physical activities with a perfect health routine.
- Physical activities – Simple physical activities such as jogging and brisk walking can be a great summer activity. Cycling and swimming would be the best!
- Skin care – A good skin care with sunscreen lotions help you find the best cure for summer-related skin issues.
- Abundant vitamin D – Summer is the perfect time to boost your vitamin D quotient in the body. And, simple walks in the warm weather.
Follow all these tips for better protection from the hot summer days. And, follow Athulya Assisted Living blog for best tips on senior living and overall well being.